Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Big bikes for little people


BMW are now offering a large proportion of their bigger models with lowered saddles and shocks for those of a shorter stature. TWO sent a tiny person to investigate




It struck me like an epiphany the first time I realised that motorcycling was an achievable and open world for me. I was sat on a superbike in Battersea Park, London, with both feet flat (almost) on the ground. With my 5ft 3 (and three-quarters, those three-quarters are very important) frame I'd always struggled in the past, but here was a bike that not only could I fit on but was fast, light and manouverable into parking bays. It was perfect, it was a silver and black Yamaha R1 and I didn't even have my licence. Anyone who's a little bit on the shorter side like me but loves their bikes knows exactly how this feels. There have been so many concerns associated with getting my feet down over the years including gravel, damp leaves, off camber roads, pot holes, steep descents, stopping at car park barriers and getting tickets out that some of these have had a major affect on my confidence. And as such it has probably taken me far longer to learn to ride well than taller riders will have done.

No comments:

Post a Comment