Monday, March 9, 2009

Vivaldi British Superbike ride


It was ridiculous. Exactly where in the script did it say “Janie rides British Superbike- cue lashings of torrential rain” It didn’t. It shouldn’t have. But it did, in stupendious proportions.

As if I wasn’t nervous enough. Basically, take my Gixxer Thou’, throw about seventy grand at it, which’ll buy you upgraded suspension, brakes, more power, better cooling, aerodynamics, etc, . . and ta-da, you’ve got one muvver of a bike. A 205bhp Superbike. Gulp!

So when Vivalidi (as in the spuds) offered me a test ride of their BSB bike, I thought it’s rude to say no. I mean, if I won the lottery, and wanted to buy my bike a make-over, this superbike is pretty much the ultimate goal. It’s a road bikes final destination, its nirvana.



“Honestly Janie, you’ll be fine.” Scott Smart grinned. Yeah Scotty, you’re Barry Sheen’s nephew, Paul Smart’s son, I’m Janie. Big difference mate.

Only he was totally right. The team had softened rider Ollie Bridewell’s fuel mapping to accommodate my riding style and ability and the abysmal weather. But tweaks or not, this bike’s power delivery beggared belief. How could something so potentially brutal still be so smooth and manageable?

Before I launch into nonsensical streams of dry mouthed, sweaty palmed gibberish, the bottom line is that in the hands of riders like Scotty, these bikes are total animals. But with me, as long as I kept it between 5 and 10,000 rpm (maximum power is at 13,000) I was literally singing in the rain. Well - shouting really. Very, very loudly.

It was a once in a lifetime ride. Wet or not, I needed to know what the power really felt like. I grabbed a fistful. Bloomin’ Heck! My bum shot back in the seat as the Gixxer lept forwards. I glanced down. No-where near 13,000 revs. S***! The next turn launched itself at me. Huh- already? Change down, or was it up? Oh heck just tip it . . .

The race gearbox is upside down to a regular road bikes, but it didn’t really take too much getting used to. OK, so I went completely the wrong way and sneaked second instead of fourth (on more than one occasion) but hey . .I had a lot on my mind. Lucky me!

No comments:

Post a Comment